Las Vegas, NV
Plans, conducts and directs engineering research, design and development projects of major significance, which are highly difficult and complex in nature necessitating the expert application of advanced engineering knowledge and experience. Originates and applies new and unique engineering methods and procedures; designs and develops special equipment; supplies technical advise and counsel to other professionals. Generally operates with wide latitude for unreviewed action or decision. Must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. Some travel required. Passport and ability to travel overseas a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Master’s Degree in Physics or Engineering. PhD’s Degree preferred. Ten (10) years experience in the analysis, evaluation, design and development of equipment or systems. Profound knowledge of X-Ray physics, nuclear physics, detectors. High Voltage, electron beam optics, vacuum and tomography expertise are desirable. Experience in physics aspects of system design.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceives, plans, and conducts research in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity. Collaborates in preliminary and advanced design studies and prepares technical portion of proposals.
- Serves as the technical specialist for the organization in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles, and processes for an assigned area of responsibility.
- Interfaces with other disciplines (imaging scientists, software, electrical and mechanical engineers) to develop applied solutions to problems. Designs devices and systems to meet abstract requirements.
- Evaluates vendor capabilities to provide required products or services. Writes major portion of complex specifications and engineering reports as a result of advance studies, special engineering investigations and similar activities.
- Performs various administrative and supervisory functions including budget responsibility, scheduling, conferences, and preparation of proposal and bids.
- Coordinates the work of lower level employees, and supervises their development.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Work requires a broad knowledge of precedents in specialty area and a good working knowledge of principles and practice of related specialties. Excellent analytical skills required. Will develop, analyze and simulate new concepts. Research, debug and analyze images produced by X-ray/neutron scanners.